Extensions > Components

Hello all - I require advice with reference to certain functionality of this CMS

(1/1)

Atomant:
My name is Rob Joyce.
I am the QA Manager for iJoomla.com
I perform the QA on all of there products and I lead the development of some of their products which are outsourced to my company.

The information I need to know for beginners.
Is the framework the same as the Joomla 1.0.x framework?
If not, what differs please.

I would like to start with the installers.
I can already tell that the installer works differntly.
If someone can provide advise on writing installeds, I'll write a small tutorial for this site to asssist budding developers in there works.

datahell:
Welcome Rob.
Many people have asked the same questions as you, so if you search the forum you will find many usefull information regarding the Elxis - Mambo/Joomla differences. We tried make Elxis to look like mambo/joomla and to be as compatible as could be with them. The only thing that is 100% compatible is frontend templates. Everything else needs to be checked for compatibility and the code to be altered.

Most important changes are in:
- Database management (we use ADODB layer, so all queries must be compatible with ADODB)
- Language system/Multi-linguism
- Access system
- File handling
- Various Elxis implementations (login templates, tools, bridges, etc)

Notice: Never think that something is compatible with Elxis if you just don't see any errors. Code must be checked in any occassion before tring to install an extension from a source other than elxis.org.

For the installers:
For compatibility with any database type we use XML schema files during the instalaltion. So instead of writing hardcoded mysql queries on installation xml/php files, create an XML schema. It is much easier and you will have a component able to be installed under any database type elxis/ADODB supports! See component stargallery as an example.

Note: Elxis installer requires files not to be inside a subdirectory in the zip file but in the root folder. Of course you can have folders but your root files should not be inside any directory in the zip file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version